In Northwest Arkansas we take sandwiches seriously. Sandwich shops are gourmet around here. More than just meat and cheese on bread. Stop by and have your sandwich custom made to your tastebuds delight. If you want, these shops will put everything and the kitchen sink on it!
1. Green Submarine has two locations in Fayetteville, Wedington Dr. and Dickson Street. Funny name, awesome place! They use Boar’s Head meats, cheeses and breads from our StoneMill Bread and Flour Company, which is #2 on this list. They now deliver to the U of A and Downtown Business District area. My favorite sandwich is the Tru Italian Melt (minus the veggies). Try it. You’ll like it.
2. StoneMill Bread & Flour Company will custom make your sandwich, pair it with a homemade soup of the day and they will throw in chips, pickle, and a homemade cookie! Yummy! They also have cartons of their fresh chicken salad. Grab one with a fresh-made. loaf of cranberry pecan bread and you’ve got a quick lunch for the girls! Call ahead and they will have your custom orders all brown-bagged up for your office crew!
3. Loafin’ Joes is a renovated old gas station in the heart of downtown Fayetteville. They serve the most awesome half loaf or full loaf sub-sandwiches and unlike many establishments of their kind, more than ONE veggie sub! You will love the atmosphere. They deliver to all the downtown area businesses.
4. Hammontree’s is a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich shop with delicious soup and salad sides. They have lots of specialty grilled-cheese sandwiches or you can create your own. They use Ozark Natural Family Bakery, James at the Mill meats and Farmer’s Market herbs and veggies. You’ll enjoy their eclectic setting just off Dickson Street in Fayetteville’s Entertainment District. Try the sweet potato fries and the Brie’s Company grilled cheese sandwich. You’ll be glad you did.
5. Little Bread Co. is on this list, as well as my list of 5 Northwest Arkansas Bakeries. I love their pastries and breakfast items, but it is also one of my favorite sandwich shops! You just can’t compare a franchise with one of our locally-owned bakeries. Fresh baked bread on a sandwich always wins and the atmosphere is never “corporate.” And you know you won’t ever leave without a cinnamon roll. Love it!
6. Natural State Sandwiches is one of the gems that reside in a food truck/trailer of the Yacht Club on College Avenue. This time I did save the best for last! Their unique sandwiches are made with locally sourced meats, veggies, breads, and fruits. On these nippy, cold days of winter you will instantly be warmed up with the spicy flavor of the Kickin’ Chicken dosed with Frank’s Red Hot sauce and pickled jalapeños or my winter favorite, the So-Cal with spicy roasted chicken dressed with an amazing avocado clementine chutney. Each sandwich is crowned with crazy good homemade onion rings or fries. Check out the menu daily because there is always a unique sandwich of the day to beckon you in and warm you up! The vegetarian must-try is the Fried Boomer with its potato chip crusted mushrooms and carmelized onions. The beef lover will find what hits the mark in the afternoon Daily Sliders full of local grass-fed beef and a surprise of toppings chosen daily. Put this shop on your list of new adventures this month. As you check out these fresh and delectable sandwiches you will also want to share a deep-fried bacon funnel for dessert then you will know why this is the sweetest sandwich shop around!
If you live in NWA, I hope you learned about a new sandwich shop to try! If you have other favorite sandwich shops in NWArk comment on this post and let everyone know. We’d love to hear about them! If you’re visiting, hopefully we’ve helped you plan a meal. If you’re relocating to NWArk, I hope this post gave you a glimpse of our area. It’s a great place to live! If you try these sandwich shops, I’d love to see you Around Town! Post your pictures to Facebook or Instagram and tag me.